Sunday 30 November 2008

No drama...

Since Nepal I've been in effervescent America, still fizzing with excitement over its President elect. It is an extraordinary time to be here.

Obama's face is as ubiquitous as the Thanksgiving pumpkins. Together they adorn almost every free surface - horizontal and vertical. Even the credit crunch is shadowed by the elation after democracy and what it can achieve.

My boss and I have been doing fundraising events in New York and DC - and I've been talking about our work in Afghanistan and showing the film. I have been bowled over by the enthusiasm, the warmth and the promise this country has to offer.

My itinerant refugee status has been flung to the roadside as I am warm heartedly welcomed by everyone I meet. It's humbling stuff. And it is deftly filling the emptiness of being so far from J, and the life that we loved in Afghanistan.

2 comments:

  1. Lucy - I've only just caught up with your blog and so have read all your news in a rush. I'm so sorry to hear that you had to leave Kabul, and J, and your wonderful colleagues, in such difficult and hasty circumstances. I was evacuated from our posting in Tehran rather suddenly several years ago and it was a very odd feeling suddenly finding myself back in London with no job whilst Simon was still in Iran. Not sure it will be much consolation, but Simon and I have also had our share of time apart and I promise that the 8 months will pass more quickly that you imagine right now.

    Are you anywhere near DC at the moment? Please get in touch! Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy

    Sad to read all that stuff. There's an intensity about life in conflict places which is very compelling - and hard to leave.

    Have you given up the blog for now? If you are in the US, maybe you could tell us a bit about how it feels. I'd love to be there at present. I'm doing training with American bishops at present and will be coming for a course - but not until May

    ReplyDelete