Sunday 26 May 2013

Ancient rifts

In the wake of the tragic killing of Lee Rigby, the soldier in Woolwich, I've read there has been an anti-Muslim backlash in the UK.

I was talking about it with a Jordanian this morning, who told me with a stern expression, that the culprit must almost certainly be Shia. I was surprised, as I didn't think they'd be an obvious candidate for the sectarianism that is ripping this region from its ancient roots.

But I don't think I'd fully realised before we arrived here, how many men and women have a deep-seated mistrust, or worse, of the other. These problems aren't just coming from the top, they also have a firm hold at the bottom. And when you look at the Syria crisis, it's why Shi'ite Hezbollah in Lebanon is supporting the Alawite Government; and why Saudi, Kuwait and Qatar are supporting the Syrian opposition forces. In these stark terms, it makes you want to know more about what has come into it since the rift began.  And it also makes you wonder how much worse it can only get. The gloves are off, and everyone is running into this terrifying ring for their own reason.

I've just started 'After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shia-Sunni Split.' Because without an understanding of the fission of the Arab world, which happened just shortly after Mohammed's death, you can't really begin to work out what's happening in the Middle East right now.

The author, Lesley Hazleton, is a journalist not a historian, which according to J, means the book will probably be a lot more readable than many historical tomes. And I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment