Tuesday 13 August 2013

Slowly slowly catchy monkey

I'm not sure 'spring into action' is quite how my day could be described. My brain has turned to marshmallow; I've forgotten most of the Arabic I've spent the last 6 months learning; my jeans must have shrunk or something; and even the external hard drive for my computer is reminding me it hasn't been used for a month.

Fortunately we had one day yesterday of moving slowly as the Glammy was at home with jet lag after her trip to the USA so I had the perfect excuse to postpone my cranking up (the alternative to springing into action). The Lozenge came tripping into the room saying: 'Ith it a big bad Mummy day today, then?' Which it was - and I'm a little bigger and badder than before our holiday. The dwarves and I trailed after J to the embassy where we paddled in the pool, chatted and reminded ourselves of where we were. The Lozenge asked for some 'Ay Theee' (air conditioning) in the red hot Chevy and sighed: 'It'th hot, but it'th nithe to be in our red car again.'

On our way back we drove past the house of Syrians next door and I felt sad to think that each of the 35 days we've spent away, every one so varied and fun and full of time with family, would have been 35 of the same, and the same again for the ladies and children within its beige walls.

Now, back at my desk, working out which way to point myself first, I'm looking at a little piece of paper on which I scrawled this Sanscrit pick me up before we left when I was trying to finish all my work before I left:

Look to this day, for it is life, The very life of life.
In its brief course lie all the realities of existence,
The joy of growth,
The splendour of action,
The glory of power.
For yesterday is but a memory and tomorrow is only a vision.
But today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore, to this day.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey...

Tomorrow is certainly a vision of hope.

Now I am going to shut the computer and cook tea for the dwarves who are happily reunited with the Glammy in a sandy playground somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment