Friday 6 June 2014

The Stones

I left Jordan a day after the boys, having finished the workshop. My Egyptian friend handed me a quiche she'd made to take back with me, still warm and smelling delicious which she sat to rest on the front seat. At the Israeli border they always ask if you have a weapon, or if anyone has given you anything to carry over. I was itching to mention I had an Egyptian quiche on the front seat, but I reckoned that would have brought out the bomb squad.

It's been good to be back and in the swing of our lives again. It's 'toot' (mulberry) season and they're everywhere on the trees and in the shops. The dwarves have permanently purple digits.

J and I discovered the Rolling Stones were playing in Tel Aviv and managed to get a couple of tickets. The night was muggy and hot, and newspapers predicted 'sluggish sales'  but the Hayarkon Park slowly filled with a stream of people until well over 50,000 were gathered, waiting for the rockers to make their entrance.

And in they came. Charlie Watts at 73, Ronnie and Mick at 70 and Keith Richards, a mere 67. Lithe and bursting with energy they rocked the park. Mick spoke a bit in Hebrew. Keith in English: 'I'm happy to be here,' he said, 'happy to be anywhere in fact.'

As I explained their performance to my Egyptian friend, she said: 'Well of course, if you're doing something you love, it gives you the energy of a 17 year old.'

And so they might have been. And I wondered if some of the greatest British exports at the moment, are in fact certain of our people.

Septuagenarian ROCK

Now Gran Gran is staying. We've found the long-lost secateurs, the garden looks like there's someone living here that knows what they're doing, and we found a lovely Palestinian retreat overlooking the olive groves below Bethlehem, serving organic food. The perfect place for a little rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment